10 Amazing Virtual Field Trips for Homeschoolers
There is nothing like a hands on in-person field trip to support whatever topic you are learning about in your homeschool. Experiencing walking onto a Civil War Battlefield or maybe even seeing the Mona Lisa will definitely leave an impression! But sometimes you can’t make it to where or what you are studying.
This is where awesome technology comes in and makes it possible for you to virtually visit far off amazing places or watch an animal in its natural habitat from the comfort of home! There are many options and ways to do just that- through online tours, 360 panoramic views, and web cams to name a few.
I have gathered up 10 amazing virtual field trips for you to experience with your child, match them up with your topic of study or just enjoy them for the pure fun of it! Let’s get started…
1.Learning about farms and how they work? Check out the various aspects of farming with this virtual experience Discovering Farmland. Kids can see how robotic milkers, automatic feed pushers, and several other things on a farm work. Each comes with a printable activity pdf to enhance the learning.
2. Explore the secrets of Easter Island with PBS (click on explore the island). Watch the raising of Moai and other exciting points through a 360 photograph or via video. You can play a move the Moai game as well to add a little fun to your learning.
3. If you are learning about ocean life a great supplement to that is to watch the live web cams at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Check out the actual Monterey Bay, spy on the birds with the aviary cam, or explore the ocean with their open sea cam- something new to see each time! What a great way for landlocked learners to see something that they otherwise might not. Live cam feed is from 7am to 7pm but they always have a pre recorded reel to run as well.
5. Take a tour of the San Diego Zoo with live web cams in 8 of their different exhibits, watch videos, find instructions for many crafts, read stories about the animals at the zoo, and even play games. Compare it to zoo’s in your area.
6. Visiting the White House in person is definitely on our family bucket list but for now I love that we can get a virtual tour of this impressive building via ios or android. Explore indoors and out and see the artwork on display throughout.
7. Studying the ancients or just the geography of Egypt in general? Tour the ancient tombs and Pyramids of Egypt with King Tut One. Poke around and get facts, figures, and photos, as well as a virtual tour of pyramid chambers.
8. Enjoy a 360 panoramic video of the Great Wall of China as well as still photos of different parts of the wall. A great supplement to studying China one of our Wonders of the World from the middle ages.
9. Visit the Liberty Bell one of our most iconic pieces of early American history in Philadelphia Pennsylvania and get an up close look at it, even the famous crack down it’s side.
10. Wander around amazing exhibits in the Smithsonian Museum. Everything from fossils to cave paintings and wet specimens to skeletons. I would love to take the kids here some day but how fun to be able to visit from our couch for now!
Have you found a fun virtual field trip to share with your kids? I would love to hear about it!
***Don’t forget to Like us on Facebook so you don’t miss any of the posts we only share over there! We also love finding new things to share on Pinterest, so we would love to see you Follow us on Pinterest to see what fun things we are discovering!***